Thursday, May 28, 2015

$5.00 Mirror Makeover

I have always had a full length mirror in my bedroom that I purchased at Walmart for $5.00 but I never liked keeping it out. So I decided to make it over so I could peremantley display it in the bedroom.

Here are the steps I followed:

1. Take apart the frame and the backing of the mirror. Purchase 3 boards of wood two wider in size and one smaller in size. Stain the pieces of wood.
2. Frame out the mirror and cut the pieces of wood accordingly. I used a hand saw.
3. First I used wood glue to adhere them together and then for added support I stapled the wood together and it ended being a fun accent as well. As you can tell the wood is on the thinner side because I knew I wanted to hang it.

4. I then hammered down the staples on the other side.
5. Then I white washed the boards adding pops of color. My tip for this is to use a cheap dollar store brush and as always a damp cloth.
 6. Used heavy duty wood glue and glued the mirror to the back of the wood. Let it dry.
 7. Bought thick rope at Home Depot for $8.00 for 50 ft.
 8. Drilled a hole at the top of the mirror on both sides and strung the rope through and knotted both ends.
9.

No comments:

Post a Comment